Next: How can we learn?
Up: Learning I
Previous: Learning I
Learning is an important area in AI, perhaps more so than planning.
- Problems are hard -- harder than planning.
- Recognised Solutions are not as common as planning.
- A goal of AI is to enable computers that can be taught rather than
Learning is a an area of AI that focusses on processes of self-improvement.
Information processes that improve their performance or enlarge their
knowledge bases are said to learn.
Why is it hard?
- Intelligence implies that an organism or machine must be able to adapt to
- It must be able to learn to do new things.
- This requires knowledge acquisition, inference, updating/refinement of
knowledge base, acquisition of heuristics, applying faster searches, etc.