Up: Common sense Ontologies
Previous: Common sense Ontologies
Here we address notions of time familiar to most people as opposed to the
philosophical nature of time.
- Jimi Hendrix recorded albums between the mid 1960's and 1970.
- Jimi Hendrix died in 1970.
- Beautiful People released an album based on samples of all of Hendrix's
- We can easily infer that Beautiful People's album was released after 1970.
The most basic notion of time is occupied by events:
- Events occur during intervals -- continuous spaces of time.
- An interval has a start and end point and a duration (of time) between
- Intervals can be related to one another -- descriptions such as
is-before, is-after, meets, is-met-by, starts, is-started-by, during,
contains, ends, is-ended-by and equals.
- We can build a axioms with intervals to describe events in time.