Next: Constraint Satisfaction
Up: AI Key Concepts -
Previous: AO* Algorithm
- Allows both backward and forward searching.
- This means we could solve major parts of a problem first and then return
to smaller problems when assembling the final solution.
- GPS was the first AI program to exploit means-ends analysis.
- STRIPS (A robot Planner) is an advanced problem solver that incorporates
means-ends analysis and other techniques.
Very loosely the means-ends analysis algorithm is:
- Until the goal is reached or no more procedures are available:
- Describe the current state, the goal state and the differences between
- Use the difference the describe a procedure that will hopefully get
nearer to goal.
- Use the procedure and update current state.
- If goal is reached then success otherwise fail.
See last year's course for numerous examples of this.