Next: Compatibility of DVD
Previous: Quality of DVD-Video
Despite several positive attributes mentioned above there are some potential
disadvantages of DVD:
- It will take years for movies and software to become widely available.
- It can't record (yet).
- It has built-in copy protection and regional lockout.
- It uses digital compression. Poorly compressed audio or video
may be blocky, fuzzy, harsh,
- or vague.
- The audio downmix process for stereo/Dolby Surround can reduce
- It doesn't fully support HDTV.
- Some DVD players and drives may not be able to read CD-Rs.
- First-generation DVD players and drives can't read DVD-RAM
- Current players can't play in reverse at normal speed.