Up: Basic HTML Programming
Previous: Linking to Other Documents
There is a subtle and very important between the links in the previous example:
- Relative links
- refer to a page that exists in the current directory that he
browser points to.
- sub-directories and included files can be specified in the relative link.
- Makes for very portable web pages. Whole directory systems can be moved easily.
- Absolute links
- reference files based on the absolute location on the local file
- absolute links always begin with a /
- Remote links
- reference files based on the absolute location on complete URL.
- Files on local disks may be accessed via the file IPtype in the URL.