Professor O.F. Rana
Professor of Performance Engineering
Computer Science & Informatics,
5 The Parade, Roath,
Cardiff CF24 3AA, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20875542
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874598
Extension Number: 75542
Room Number: N/2.14
Personal home page
My research interests span three areas of Computing; (1) Problem Solving Environments (PSEs) for computational science and commercial computing, (2) Data analysis and management for large scale computing, and (3) scalability in high performance agent systems. Underpinning these three areas are the core concepts of "scalability" and "performance management" - which cover my research contributions - involving:
- Performance modelling and simulation - in particular creating manageable models that can be confirmed by simulation (these models have primarily been based on Stochastic Petri Nets).
- Execution performance - with a key focus on distributed objects.
- Performance issues in large scale distributed systems - such as Computational and Data Grids.
- Infrastructure support for improving user-perceived performance (and suggestions for improvements in infrastructure). This aspect also includes application demonstrators that illustrate performance problems.
- Semantic support for monitoring and measuring performance.
- Relation of application performance with system scalability, trust and reputation issues, and reliability.
Current & Recent Research Projects
- Digital social research tools, tension indicators and safer communities: A demonstration of the Cardiff digital research platform (CDRP), ESRC.
- Supporting Empirical Digital Social Research with Virtual Research Environment, JISC.
- An innovative private cloud system to support multi-business collaboration, KTP and Wakemans Ltd.
- Identifying and modelling victim, business, regulatory and malware behaviours in a changing cyberthreat lanscape, EPSRC.
- Social media and prediction: Crime sensing, data integration and statistical modelling, EPSRC (via Southampton).
- Hate speech and social media: Understanding users, networks and information flows, ESRC.
- To develop an intelligent (predictive), automated, enterprise-wide service-oriented remote IT asset managment system to reduce downtime and improve customer reporting and trust, KTP and Circle IT Solutions LTD.
- Ebb and flow energy systems, TSB.
- Lost Visions: Retrieving the visual element of printed books from the nineteenth century, AHRC.
- Clouds4cooridnation: Cloud based project coordination in the AEC sector, TSB via BRE.
- SCADA Cyber Security Lifecycle, EADS UK.
From the ORCA Repository: