Dr P. Burnap
Computer Science & Informatics,
5 The Parade, Roath,
Cardiff CF24 3AA, UK
Extension Number: 76249
Room Number: S/3.04
Personal home page
Research interests include:
- Social Media Analysis: Developing new algorithms and implementing computational analysis tools (often informed by social theory) to better understand online social interaction and behaviour;
- Supporting Decision Making: Building systems to support intelligence gathering, risk assessment, and decision making - "extracting knowledge from data";
- Big Data and Text Mining: Collation, storage and analysis of text information and massive datasets ("Big Data") using natural language processing, pattern matching and machine learning techniques;
- Information Security: Developing methods to better understand the behaviour, spread and evolution of malicious software, informing policy requirements, and building secure information sharing technology;
- Distributed systems: Building secure and distributed information sharing and retrieval systems.
Current & Recent Research Projects
- Tackling Radicalisation in Dispersed Societies, European Commission.
- Identifying and modelling victim, business, regulatory and malware behaviours in a changing cyberthreat landscape, EPSRC.
- To develop an intelligent (predictive), automated, enterprise-wide service-oriented remote IT asset management system to reduce downtime and improve customer reporting and trust, KTP and Circle IT Solutions LTD.
- SCADA Cyber Security Lifecycle, EADS UK.
- CAT-D UI Work Package, Airbus Group Ltd.
- Public perceptions of the UK food system: Public understanding and engagement, and the impact of crises and scares, ESRC via NatCen Social Research.
- Ebbbs and flows of energy systems (EFES), EPSRC.
- Digital Wildfire: (Mis)information flows, propagation and responsible governance, ESRC via University of Oxford.
- Embedding COSMOS within public safety organisations, ESRC.
- Industrial secondment, Airbus Group Ltd.
- Investigating the link between social media activity and reporting crime, Metropolitan Police Service.
- The 2016 Welsh election study: A study of the 2016 election to the National Assembly for Wales, ESRC.
- Big Data analytics project, KTP and Admiral.
From the ORCA Repository: