Dr P. Burnap
Computer Science & Informatics,
5 The Parade, Roath,
Cardiff CF24 3AA, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 29 20876249
Fax: +44 (0) 29 20874598
Extension Number: 76249
Room Number: S/3.04
Personal home page
Research interests include:
- Social Media Analysis: Developing new algorithms and implementing computational analysis tools (often informed by social theory) to better understand online social interaction and behaviour;
- Supporting Decision Making: Building systems to support intelligence gathering, risk assessment, and decision making - "extracting knowledge from data";
- Big Data and Text Mining: Collation, storage and analysis of text information and massive datasets ("Big Data") using natural language processing, pattern matching and machine learning techniques;
- Information Security: Developing methods to better understand the behaviour, spread and evolution of malicious software, informing policy requirements, and building secure information sharing technology;
- Distributed systems: Building secure and distributed information sharing and retrieval systems.
Current & Recent Research Projects
- Tackling Radicalisation in Dispersed Societies, European Commission.
- Equipment upgrade for early career researchers, EPSRC.
- Identifying and modelling victim, business, regulatory and malware behaviours in a changing cyberthreat lanscape, EPSRC.
- Social media and prediction: Crime sensing, data integration and statistical modelling, EPSRC (via Southampton).
- Hate speech and social media: Understanding users, networks and information flows, ESRC.
- To develop an intelligent (predictive), automated, enterprise-wide service-oriented remote IT asset managment system to reduce downtime and improve customer reporting and trust, KTP and Circle IT Solutions LTD.
- SCADA Cyber Security Lifecycle, EADS UK.
- CAT-D UI Work Package, Airbus Group Ltd.
- Public perceptions of the UK food system: Public understanding and engagement, and the impact of crises and scares, ESRC via NatCen Social Research.
- Ebbbs and flows of energy systems (EFES), EPSRC.
From the ORCA Repository: